Vision Therapy | Sydney
Vision Therapy is an individualised, supervised vision training program designed to correct visual-motor and/or perceptual-cognitive deficiencies. Vision Therapy is designed to help improve:
- Focusing flexibility and maintenance
- Use of the two eyes as an integrated team
- Eye movement efficiency, both for reading and sports
- Visual skills necessary for the development of reading
- Spatial skills that underlie maths
- Eye-hand reaction time
- Sequencing skills
- Integration of vision with auditory and motor systems
- Sport specific visual skills
Our in-office vision therapy usually runs in 16-week blocks. We also offer a home-based computerised developmental vision therapy program in Sydney designed to build the visual skills necessary for efficient reading.
Visual-motor skills and endurance are developed through the use of specialised computer and optical devices, including therapeutic lenses, prisms and filters. During the final stages of our vision training programs, the patient’s newly acquired visual skills are reinforced and made automatic through repetition and by integration with motor and cognitive skills.
The necessary ingredients for success in such a program are:
- Spatial Awareness: to train the vision system to lead efficient movement through space
- Motor Planning: to ensure that movement is efficient and directed
- Sequence: to incorporate the concept that each movement is discrete and meaningful in context
- Cognitive Load or Dual Processing: to develop each skill to a level where it becomes automatic
- Visual Analysis: to develop selective visual attention
Visit our Case Studies page and learn more about the changes Vision Therapy has brought into the lives of our Sydney patients and their families.